One of the thing I’ve always admired about the people in the wine industry is their generosity. This is not a universal truth, of course, but the fact is that most of the people I have had the pleasure of meeting are very happy to share their success, and their wine, if it means benefiting a worthy cause. And on the subjects of both generosity and worthy causes, it didn’t take long working in OPA for me to recognize that the Omaha Public Schools Foundation is an incredible asset to the 50K+ students in our district, and perhaps even more so, to the thousands of teachers who are so devoted to their success.
As a (relatively) young man with two kids, a mortgage, and enough student loans for two people, I sometimes lament my inability to cut checks to causes that I know are worthy of my support. That being said, on occasion, I am so devoted to a cause that I push to find other ways of supporting them, and this is one such instance.
Thanks to the generosity of many of my friends in the wine industry who will be named below, on Sunday, November 5, from 2PM to 5PM, I will be helping to host an exciting afternoon that will serve to bring people who support education in the Omaha community together while raising money for the Omaha Schools Foundation. Generously sponsored and hosted by the Regency Parkway Art Gallery, located at 440 Regency Parkway Drive Suite 137, and supported by my dear friends at Corkscrew Wine and Cheese, the event will offer wine, hors d’oeuvres, live music, and a silent auction featuring wine and other wonderful donations from friends from as close as Omaha, and as far away as Napa and Sonoma, who support education and strive through their generosity to make a difference in the world.
Below, I’ll list the items that are up for auction that day. As more donations come in, I’ll continue to update this list. All proceeds will support the Omaha Public Schools Foundation. And if you see one of these generous donors anytime soon, please tell them thanks for us!
- Alpha Omega, Napa — 1 magnum of Cabernet Sauvignon, wine tasting for 4
- Euclid, Napa — Mixed half-case of wines including Cabernet, Syrah, and Merlot
- Grgich Hills, Napa — 1 magnum of 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Honig, Napa — “Eco Tour” and Wine Tasting, plus 2 bottles to take with you
- John Anthony, Napa — 1 magnum of 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Kelleher, Napa — 2 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc, 2 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon
- Ledson, Sonoma — 2 nights at the Ledson hotel, private tastings at Ledson and Z. Hyde Cunningham wineries
- Optima, Sonoma — 1 case of autographed estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pellet Estate, Napa — 1 signed bottle of estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- Schramsberg, Napa — 1 signed magnum of sparkling
- Steele, Lake County — 1 magnum of Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tedeschi, Napa — 4 signed bottles of “brothers blend” and a tour and tasting
- Volker Eisele, Napa — 1 magnum of 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, tasting for 4
Watch for updates from me as more wine and other exciting items are added to this list, and please show up having budgeted for this because, well, frankly, because if you want any of these items, then you’ll be competing with me! Whether you participate in the auction or not, however, the cost of your ticket to attend the event will also go towards supporting the OPSF. To purchase tickets, please copy-paste the link below:
Thank you in advance for your support of the Omaha Public Schools Foundation and, by extension, the more than 50K children of Omaha Public Schools, many of whom currently study English, Humanities, and World Religions in my own classroom at Omaha North High Magnet School. We appreciate your support. I hope to see you on November 5 at 2pm. We’ll share a glass of wine together.